Dimitra Buckingham tutors students in the English and Reading sections of the ACT and SAT, and also specializes in Executive Functioning. She works mainly out of the Barrington office, but holds office hours in Lincolnshire, as well. She holds a Bachelor of Arts degree in Psychology from DePaul University and a Masters of Education from the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, and is certified to teach regular and special education.
Dimitra has had many years of experience teaching students of all ages with a wide range of abilities, including elementary, high school, and special education. She especially enjoys working one-on-one with each student. This setting allows Dimitra to focus on the strengths and needs of each student, making the most effective use of a student’s time and energy.
Her approach includes the following methods, among others:
- review of all subject-matter skills and exam concepts;
- provide additional support where needed;
- implement effective and tailored test-taking strategies;
- develop timing and pacing skills given exam time limits;
- assign home study to ensure mastery of material;
- improve test-taking focus and stamina with “live” practice exams;
- review and analyze mistakes and difficult questions; and
- provide real exams for home study.
Dimitra’s primary objective is to enable each student to approach test day as a skilled and confident test-taker, ready to achieve his or her exam goals and realize his or her full potential.