At Laura George Consulting, our small team of subject matter experts offers customized ACT and SAT tutoring, and we tailor our lesson plans and teaching styles to help each individual student achieve his or her best possible score. Each of our tutors has education and/or a professional background in teaching particular subjects, and each has a passion for getting to know students and empowering them to achieve their full potential. We have each worked with students who possess a wide range of abilities and challenges. We also have extensive experience in tutoring students with various learning differences as well as test anxiety, and we customize our methods to include specialized strategies for each student and provide extended time practice testing. ACT and SAT tutoring is available to students in the North Shore and Northwest Chicago suburbs in our Lincolnshire office. Some of our tutors also work with students across the country via Zoom video conferencing.
Start the process by scheduling a free initial 30-minute parent consultation with Laura so that we can discuss your child's unique needs and goals. We will then recommend a personalized plan of action.
The student experience involves taking a retired ACT and SAT to determine which test he or she prefers and on which he or she achieves a higher initial score. Our tutors also use these tests as diagnostic tools. Even if a student has previously taken a practice ACT or PSAT administered by his or her school or an actual ACT or SAT exam, we can only review their composite scores for each of the subject areas (unless they order the TIR or QAS from the tests).
By giving students a test at LGC, we can see each individual question they answered incorrectly and learn far more about their areas of relative strength and weakness. Perhaps they always miss questions involving a particular grammar rule or type of math problem, for example. By gaining these insights, we can ensure that we offer additional instruction and practice on these particular subjects and question types as we prepare for the test.
The process of thoroughly preparing for the ACT or SAT varies in length depending on the amount of instruction and review that is warranted for each individual student. Some will benefit from a comprehensive instructional package that involves multiple lessons and practice sessions for each subject area on the test. Others may only require a fundamental set of lessons to review or fine tune areas in which they have room for further improvement. We work with parents and students to assess needs and recommend the ideal program for each child.
The ACT or SAT tutoring process typically lasts between two and four months. We recommend beginning this process in the summer between sophomore and junior years for several reasons.
First, a student will have less commitments relating to academic work and extracurricular activities and will have more opportunities during the day to carve out time for ACT or SAT prep.
Second, we always advise students to prep with a target test date in mind. If students plan to take the test in the fall of their junior year, they will have ample time to take additional tests to further improve their scores or they will be done with the test and have it “off their plates” if they achieve their target score.
- Take school-administered practice ACT, ACT Aspire, or PSAT (if required by school district)
- Take recently retired ACT or SAT with LGC – preferably during the summer between sophomore and junior years
- LGC analyzes test results to gain insight into the student’s relative areas of strength and weakness, advises upon the better test for the student, and plans customized tutoring lessons accordingly
- Student begins weekly or twice weekly instructional sessions that are scheduled to lead up to a target test date
- Student also participates in practice problem sessions during which tutors will immediately review the responses given and provide in-depth explanations about any incorrect answers to ensure maximum learning and retention
- Student takes ACT or SAT on target test date
- LGC evaluates ACT or SAT results with the student, formulates a plan for fine tuning his or her strategies and pacing, and determines a timeline for taking subsequent tests if warranted
Commencing the Process
LGC offers various tutoring packages that cater to the specific needs of each student. We will recommend a package and an allocation of lessons in each subject after we analyze a student's diagnostic testing. Please contact us for more information about our packages, the services included, and pricing.